You need to log in to create posts and topics.

HOW TO PROGRAMME FOR PUSH, PULL, LEGS (PPL) - LOCKDOWN-SERIES

Let's delve straight into this one, here we will now look at how to programme for push, pull, legs. 

Caveat before we move on: If you haven't read HOW TO PROGRAMME FOR (full body & upper lower), please go and read those first.

So here we will look at frequency and the potential set up for a PPL split. Initially we will look at the frequency, just like most thing's the frequency requirement will be a reflection on the individuals current goal, volume requirements, recovery capabilities so on and so forth, therefore this information provided is a generic guideline for you to follow. 

Generally speaking when we think of a PPL split, most of us will be familiar with a 6 day frequency which would either be split into 6 consecutive days with 1 rest day at the end or 3 days on with 1 rest day in-between. 

When I used this generic PPL split in 2017 for my 2017 UKBFF Kent classic prep, I used a 3 days on, 1 day off split.

Monday: Pull

Tuesday: Push

Wednesday: Legs

Thursday Rest

Repeat

That was a good set up for me, however at the time I wasn't as well educated on things such as the nerves system and the implications stress, inflammation & cortisol elevation can have on our abilities to lose fat mass optimally etc, so if I knew this information then I would've lost definitely done things differently and potentially of came into the show drier with more condition. Don't misconstrue that with me making excuses, my 4th placing is a fair reflection of my condition I presented on the day, the people who finished above rightly deserved their placings, but things could've potentially been different. 

back to the main aspect of this topic, so it would either be a 3 day on, 1 day off split or a 6 day on, 1 day off split. However, some people today now prefer a two day on, 1 day off. or like my self I've actually integrated a PPL & Upper, Lower split into my micro. This gives me the ability to hit all body parts twice across 1 micro (week), plus now I have a 3 day on, 1 day off, 2 day on, 1 day off repeat.

That split has been the one ive followed for the last year and a half now and I personally have seen my best results in terms of hypertrophy with that set up. Caveat again, that doesn't mean it will work for you!

To keep things simplistic here, lets say I have adopted the 3 days on, 1 day off split, the layout of that to me would be as mentioned above. I personally like to place my pull session at the beginning of the week to allow 1 extra day in-between my Pull and Leg session, some people may have the ability to training Pull and Legs back to back, depending on connective tissue integrity, recovery modalities, capabilities and what phase they're in. 

For the more advance trainers, with absurd strength capacity, high levels of muscularity and crazy intensity then ill be surprised if that person could deadlift one day then the following day squat. For those who say they can, I would be extremely sceptical of your levels of intensity put into the sessions. If you trained like it was do or die, you wouldn't want to squat the proceeding day from a deadlift day. This is why I like to separate my Pull & Leg session's with the Push session in middle to traverse the two. 

As for each individual training session, Ideally I would adopt a similar set up to the Upper & Lower split, where as I would have one session predominantly biasing towards heavy compounds, a closer proximity to 80% of my 1RM or above, then the second rotation predominantly biasing towards more higher rep work (60% of 1rm, there about's), slightly less compound work that will reck the joints. then back to the initial rotation & continue to alternate like that. 

The main thing that would separate this split to a Upper & Lower split for example would be the emphasis on more body parts that require it, in essence lagging or weaker body parts, i.e. medial delts, traps, arms, posterior delts, calves. A PPL split for me would typically see more exercises directly targeting these muscles (body parts) in comparison to a Full body or a Upper & Lower split. 

If you have any questions please let me know by dropping them below.

For anyone who is found to be misusing the forum for transaction purposes selling goods etc will be removed permanently as it is prohibited. If anyone is found mistreating any other members will be removed permanently as it is prohibited